Thursday, February 02, 2006

Time out for a different perspective

Taking Neddie's suggestion to download & listen to a "Dylan's roots" thing - www.highwatereverywhere.com. Jason Chervokas put together some of Dylan's outstanding songs with old blues and folk songs that were obviously inspirational to the man. I can't wait to hear the rest of Jason's work.

Here are some thoughts during the 68 minute long podcast:

It's the stories that are so fascinating. his intepretations of them, his acting-out.

I LOVE the Basement Tapes. I bought the cassettes in the mid-90s and kept them in my pocketbook for about six months, until I couldn't listen to them any more. I'd listen to them in the car and wonder how I got to work. I'd listen to them at home and realize that hours had gone by. The music, the voices, were like a drug to me - all-immersing, mind-controlling - and I was helpless to resist. Besides, they're legal! But I had small children to care for.

I've never heard a live version of "Cold Irons Bound." It's so much bigger and scarier.

This music makes me feel so un-self-conscious. I feel like everyone, like I'm not alone, like I belong.

Jimmie Rodgers: a friend of mine made me a tape of Jimmie Rodgers' songs, mingled with contemporary artists interpreting. Love Dwight Yoakum singing "T for Texas," Allison somebody singing so sweet. Wonder what happened to that tape? Gotta go dig that up. I love to yodel.

Brownsville Girl, right? No, this is the other version - Danville Girl. Ah, Bobby's disco/hollywood period. Gotta love it. He's so incredible. Just when you think you might have had a glimpse of a little of what he's about, someone juxtaposes some songs a certain way and you get blown away all over again, just like the first time you heard him ("Street Legal," 1978, stolen from my older sister's collection. Not impressed. "New Pony" is OK, the rest is ... eh. Eleven years later, in the living room of the man who would become my first husband, I was transfixed by the very same album, and I've been hooked ever since . . . . a whole other story.)

oh! mama! can this really be the end?

And here I sit so patiently, waiting to find out what price you have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice.

It's not dark yet, but it's getting there. And it's getting late. Wow. What kind of dreams will I have tonight?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home